Attending car shows can be a fun activity for the whole family. It’s a perfect time to meet fellow automobile enthusiasts and view some impressive machinery. Some events offer music, contests, and other activities, but few events match the scale of the Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernardino, California. Bail Hotline will have a booth at the event, to show our support in keeping the Rendezvous in downtown San Bernardino for years to come.
The San Bernardino Convention and Visitors Bureau created the Route 66 Rendezvous event and began holding annual meetings in 1990. Its first annual meeting brought 300 cars and 4,000 enthusiasts to Glen Helen Regional Park for a cruise and concert. Since then, the event has grown each year. In 1997, Stater Bros. Market began to sponsor the event, raising even greater awareness. Last year, over 500,000 car enthusiasts attended the Route 66 Rendezvous!
The City of San Bernardino considers the event to be an economic development activity, as it drives tourism and new business into the city.
The Rendezvous is open to vehicles built between 1900 and 1974. Any types are welcome, be they pickup trucks, sports cars, or hot rods. There is a wide range of contests available to attendees:
- Burnout Contest: The first 30 vehicles to sign up can participate in a free burnout contest lasting one minute per vehicle! Unfortunately, free tires are not included.
- Poker Run: Contestants are issued a map with 10 to 12 checkpoints comprised of sponsor businesses. At five of these checkpoints, the contestants will randomly draw one card from a deck. At the end of the run, the contestants submit their score sheets, and the individuals with the strongest poker hands win cash prizes of up to $500!
- Neon Light Contest: Entrants with aftermarket neon lighting can enter either the Old Skool (sic) Lights, or the LED Lights contests. Winners are picked depending upon the crowd’s applause.
- Open Header Contest: The event’s two open header contests involve vehicles with uncapped exhaust manifolds. Entrants with catalytic converters or mufflers need not apply. One winner is selected for having the loudest exhaust, and a second winner is selected for having the best sounding exhaust.
- Model Car Contest: Kids can join in on the fun by showing off their model cars. There are a variety of classes available, so there is something for every junior enthusiast!
- Run With the Cops: On the last day of the event, there is a 5k run with local law enforcement officers starting at San Manuel Stadium.
In an age of ever-increasing environmental restrictions, it’s important that car enthusiasts be able to meet and show their support for the hobby. Unfortunately, the City of San Bernardino is currently under severe financial pressure and may not be able to fund the event for much longer. Attendees can donate to keep the event in the city and help preserve this wonderful event on the historic Route 66.
The 23rd Annual Route 66 Rendezvous runs from September 13 to September 16, 2012. Bring your camera, your car, and earplugs!